Welcome to the Hannibal Boxing Podcast series. The Hannibal Boxing Podcast is hosted by boxing historian Patrick Connor and features interviews with noted authors, writers and more from the boxing world. We focus on uncovering and diving into interesting stories throughout the world of boxing. You can find all of our podcasts here: iTunes | Soundcloud | Google Play | Spotify.
Episode #7—Tersa Tapia & Paul Zanon, are interviewed together by Patrick Connor about Johnny Tapia, and the recently-published book, The Ghost of Johnny Tapia. Listen to the interview here: iTunes | Soundcloud | Google Play | Spotify.
- Teresa Tapia, Johnny’s widow and his boxing manager, provides unique insight into, and anecdotes about, Johnny. Paul Zanon discusses the unique access he had to people who surrounded Johnny while doing research for the book, including Sammy Hagar, who contributed the foreword for The Ghost of Johnny Tapia.
Episode #6—Don Stradley, is an award-winning boxing journalist whose work has appeared in The Ring, Ringside Seat, and ESPN.com. Listen to the interview with Don here: iTunes | Soundcloud | Google Play | Spotify.
- Don Stradley discusses his forthcoming book Berserk: The Shocking Life and Death of Edwin Valero, including the research process, what drove Valero to murder his beautiful wife, his take on Valero’s boxing career, the many conspiracy theories about Valero’s death that cropped up in Venezuela after his death, and much more.
Episode #5—John “Pops” Arthur, the man who revived James “Lights Out” Toney’s career, and currently helps manage Isaac Dogboe and other fighters, has led a fascinating life well beyond boxing. Listen to the interview with Pops here: iTunes | Soundcloud | Google Play | Spotify.
- John Arthur discusses his early life as an underground “death match” fighter, learning martial arts and life lessons from “The Greek,” his time with Billy Blanks, how he came to train James Toney, his championship expectations for Isaac Dogboe, and more.
- Todd Snyder discusses what led him to write 12 Rounds in Lo’s Gym, his relationship with his father, boxing, hip hop, and growing up in a coal-mining town in Appalachia, and becoming the first member of his family in six generations to earn a college degree. Todd also previews the research he has done to prepare for the forthcoming biography of Drew “Bundini” Brown (Hamilcar Publications, Fall 2020).
- Mike Stanton discusses new details about Rocky Marciano that he uncovered while doing research to write Unbeaten. Stanton also talks about how Jacobs Beach: The Mob, the Garden and the Golden Age of Boxing served as a key resource for him, particularly in learning about Frankie Carbo, boxing’s underworld czar in the 1950s.
- Donald McRae offered a glimpse into his love for boxing and writing about it, how Dark Trade came to be published in the U.K. and again in the U.S., and much more.
- Who is Hannibal Boxing? How does Hamilcar Publications fit into Hannibal? What books are coming? How Marvin Hagler helped inspire the founding of our company.