AVAILABILITY: See Hamilcar Publications for details.
This is powerful writing. Enjoy it.”—Thomas Hauser, Pulitzer Prize and National Book Award nominee
“Carlos Acevedo is the most original, perceptive, and best new writer in boxing. Sporting Blood is a vivid and gripping collection.”—Donald McRae, writer for The Guardian and author of Dark Trade: Lost in Boxing
Sporting Blood: Tales From The Dark Side of Boxing is a new collection of twenty essays by multiple award-winning boxing writer and historian Carlos Acevedo. The book’s foreword was written by Thomas Hauser, Pulitzer Prize and National Book Award nominee, who is widely recognized as one of the world’s preeminent boxing authors.
Highlights of Acevedo’s collection include a tour de force piece about Muhammad Ali at the time of his death, as well as an incisive look at his fearsome rival, the enigmatic heavyweight Charles “Sonny” Liston.
Acevedo also applies his rare talent to uncovering untold stories about fighters that include Roberto Duran, Esteban de Jesus, Carmelo Negron, Aaron Pryor, Don Jordan, Joe Frazier, Johnny Saxton, Wilfredo Gomez, Lupe Pintor, Davey Moore, Johnny Tapia, Mike Tyson, Bert Cooper, Evander Holyfield, Jake LaMotta, Ad Wolgast, Tony Ayala, Jr., Al Singer, Michael Dokes, Eddie Machen, Mike Quarry, and more.
- Get a taste for Carlos Acevedo’s writing here >>
- Booksellers, Librarians, & Reviewers, find Sporting Blood on Edelweiss
- Request A Print Copy: Contact Us
- Publication Date: March 31, 2020
- Author: Carlos Acevedo
- Features: Foreword by Thomas Hauser
- Hardcover, United States & Canada
- Paperback, Rest of World
- Hardcover (U.S. & CA Only): 978-1949590074 | $27.95 USD, $36.99 CAD
- Trade Paperback (U.K. Only): 978-1949590081 | £12.99
- Distribution: Two Rivers